How do I obtain the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero)?

From 6 July 2020 the Spanish government started to issue a new document that substitutes the EU Residency Certificate (green card). This document has the same effect as the EU Residency Certificate in terms of proving residency and allowing the UK national to stay in Spain legally after the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) and continue enjoying the same rights as before. The process to acquire the TIE can be a 2-step process depending if the UK national holds a residency certificate or not. In the case the UK national doesn’t have one, he or she will have first to present a set of documents to the Spanish administration and get the approval to continue to the next step.

*If you currently hold an EU Residence Certificate (Green Card), you don’t need to obtain the new TIE to secure your stay and rights in Spain after the end of the transition period.

Step 1 - Registering your documents (only if you don’t have a Green Card)

If you don't have an EU Residence Certificate (green card), you must first provide the administration proof of residency and apply for the residency status (similar to the former EU Resident Certificate application process) at the designated Immigration Office of your region. If you have a Digital Certificate, the documents can be presented online through the sede electrónica via this link.

The documents to present are:

  • Filled Model EX-20 (original and copy)
  • Passport.
  • Document stating beginning of residence in Spain.
  • If the UK-national is employed, he/she may provide any of the following documents:
    • Certificate of employment with the name and address of the company, as well as the tax identification and contribution account, or;
    • Work contract registered at the Public Service of Employment -Servicio Público de Empleo-, or the contracting confirmation and its conditions through the CONTRAT@ platform, or;
    • Social Security affiliation document.
  • If the UK-national is self-employed, he/she may provide any of the following documents:
    • Registration in the census of economic activities, or;
    • Inscription in the Mercantile Registry, or;
    • Social Security affiliation document.
  • If the UK-national is not employed, he/she must provide both documents:
    • Public or private insurance with coverage in Spain equivalent to that provided by the National Health System.
    • Proof of sufficient means. More information here.

If the UK national has a Digital Certificate, the documents can be presented online through the sede electrónica via this link.

After completing this process, a receipt of presentation of the application will be provided to the UK national, allowing the UK national to stay in Spain until the resolution is issued (3 months max.). If the resolution is marked as “favorable”, the UK national will be able to request the TIE with the EX-23 form.

Step 2 - Expedition of the TIE

If the applicant holds an EU Residence Certificate (temporary or permanent) or has obtained a favorable resolution after presenting the EX-20 application, he can then apply for the TIE. To request the TIE it is necessary to make an appointment online with the Oficina de Extranjeros -cita previa-, which can be done here. Currently, the Spanish administration has created a special option for the new TIE. Select the province where you live and the option “Policia-Exp. Tarjeta Asociada al Acuerdo de Retirada Ciudadanos Británicos y sus familiares (Brexit)” -Trámites Cuerpo Nacional de Policía tab-, and follow the further instructions. Completing this process will arrange an appointment at an Immigration Office or your local Police Station for a specific date and time.

Once the appointment is arranged, the UK national will need to provide the following documents:

  • Residence certificate (not necessary if presented model EX-20).
  • Filled EX-23 form and a copy
  • Passport.
  • Proof (printed) of payment of the tax 790 code 012. This can be done here. Also find the list of institutions associated with the payment of fees by direct debit system here
  • Passport-size photograph.
  • Padrón (original and copy)

The new TIE will be valid for a period of 5 years. After its validity is expired, it will be renewed to a permanent-type permit, which will have to be renewed every 10 years.

- - - 

* More information at Extranjería en las Delegaciones del Gobierno